Re: Backwards!

To: STUART_BRENNAN@hp-andover-om3.om.hp.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Backwards!
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 07:39:28 -0700
Stu,

Your concern about the new studs fitting properly is well founded. The
knurled section of nominally equal size studs do vary somewhat. Even
without drilling, you will probably have to go to a slightly larger knurled
shank size for the new studs to fit tight. And they need to fit VERY tight
to preclude their coming loose. You may be able to find a particular type
of stud that will work. However, many of us have taken such an opportunity
to go from the stock 7/16" studs to 1/2" studs. This is relatively easy on
the front axle, but on the rear it pretty much necessitates pulling the
axles. Now a 7/16" stud in good shape and correctly torqued is strong
enough to do the job; but the 1/2" stud gives you a nice margin for error
(like over torquing, etc.).

BTW, my theory says the left-handed threads should be on the right side of
the car. (Is that right Tom?)

Bob

At 08:39 AM 9/14/98 -0400, STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com wrote:
>     Hi Gang:
>
>     Well, it looks like I've discovered another one of the previous
>     owner's modifications, after all these years.
>
>     The replies I got off this network, plus conversations at our
>     gathering at Quonset Point, seem to confirm that this is not the work
>     of Rootes.  I don't know why anyone would switch my right front lugs
>     to backwards threads, but it looks like they did.  I already have the
>     new normal studs that will be going in sometime this winter, so I can
>     mount the new wheels.
>
>     Oh s**t!  I wonder where they got the backwards studs, and did they
>     have to drill to install them....?
>
>     Stu

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com