Re: 'Beam tops - Installation, Long Post

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: 'Beam tops - Installation, Long Post
From: "John Crawley" <johnc@nait.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:21:10 -0600
Jim:
Believe it or not even though I live in the frozen North I seldom have the
top up. The TIGER is put in storage during the winter months and our
summers are among the best in the world with just enough rain to keep
things green and not too hot. Top shrinkage is not a problem in this area.
The scuffing can be taken care of though. I made a pair of "socks" out of
soft material to go over the two folding top bow arms. I also made an
envelope that slips over the peak rail when it is folded. I have had no
scuffing on any of the windows in 10K of driving.
The method of fixing yellowed windows that I have devised is as follows.
1. Remove top from car.
2. Cut old window out of top and trim close to hood fabric.
3. Sew "Edge Trimming" (this is the same stuff that you find around the
 edge of automotive carpets) around the window opening.
4. Now sew  "eye- side" Velcro to the inside of the top around the window
 opening. Use the "stich-in-a-ditch" method of sewing. (This is where you
 sew just along the point where the "Edge Trimming and the top fabric
 meet.) This makes the seam almost invisible and leaves a factory look to
 the finished product.
5. Cut new window plastic about 1 in. larger than the window opening.
6. Edge trim the plastic and sew the "hook-side" Velcro to the plastic
 using the same method as to the top.
7. Re-install the top on the car.

The windows may now be removed when ever you wish and be replaced at very
little cost. The back window can be removed when you fold the top or when
you are driving. Remember that Velcro must be rubbed quite vigorously to
ensure a strong and tight fit.
Godspeed
Jc