Wheel application

To: "'Pat@brokenspoke.com'" <Pat@brokenspoke.com>
Subject: Wheel application
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 07:22:07 -0500
 Pat Barrett wrote:
*Hi folks...I'm looking for a Tiger. I'm hoping to find a stock or
*lightly modified, driveable restoration project for less than $10k and
*will cosider any year&model. I'm a Bicycle Shop owner, so anyone
*interested in trade/partial trade is encouraged to contact me.

If you share both bike and Tiger interests, you may be interested in the
possibility of fitting Campagnolo wheels to a Tiger. Sadly, it's not a
bolt-on swap. I ordered one wheel from the importer (the name Cosentino
comes to mind, but I'm not certain) because there was no _specific_
application for a Tiger. The wheel was 13x6, an Alfa application if
memory serves correctly; a pretty wheel, but the finish on the casting
not to Campy standards. Alas, the wheel would not clear the hub center
on the front, and I was too chicken to try having them machined to fit,
so I sent the wheel back. It was super-light and of a slightly
yellowish-gray color; I suspect it might've been an actual "mag" wheel.
You might be more courageaous than I and have them machined; the price
was reasonable, just over $100 each 4-5 years ago, and if you're like
most bike folk, you'll buy anything with the word "Campagnolo" on it.
:-)

If you can, spend a little more on your car. Prices are reasonable right
now, and $15-16K is being asked for some pretty nice Tigers. If any of
the work (body, paint, engine rebuilding, etc) is outsourced, you may
find it's cheaper to buy the better car now than to "restore" one. You
_really_ don't want to know what my "rolling restoration" cost me; I
love the car, but nice Tigers are now available for WAY less right now.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com