Sighted, World's Fastest Lorry!

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Sighted, World's Fastest Lorry!
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:39:26 -0700
Enthusiasts,

Here, in Southern California, where a Ferrari, Lambo,
whatever, are so common that they hardly raise any
attention, I got 'blown away'
yesterday.  Driving about 3 blocks from home, a British
Racing Green (definitive) Lorry (English for truck) pulls
alongside and waves.

I looked real hard at the driver.  It wasn't Mr. Steed, and
it wasn't the REAL James Bond, but it was their car.  An
early '30's 4.5 liter
blower Bentley in new condition. Rootes supercharger
(different Rootes) nestled between the frame rails in front
of the huge radiator, about 12" Lucas Flame thrower head
lamps, huge wire wheels covered with 'motorcycle' fenders,
chromed exhaust headers through the leather strapped hood
and racing numbers in place.

This is the 4 passenger car that made Bentley famous in the
sporting circles by winning Le Mans.  This is where he got
the reputation of
building the "World's Fastest Lorries", as the competition
were smaller 2 seaters.

He lives near me, and promised to show up with ONE of his
Bentley's at Woodley Park Sunday, Oct. 11.  The other is a
"Royale".  Sorry, the only "Royale" I know about is the Cord
I never saw.

So both BRG cars, with approximately the same engine size,
but many generations apart, went  humming down the road
issuing different
but pleasing sounds.  As I turned off, he rounded a very
long turn.  That high, narrow car, with huge wire wheels was
a thrilling sight as
he "gunned" it a little around the turn.

Made my day, so thought I'd share it.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >