Re: Sighted, World's Fastest Lorry!

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>, "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Sighted, World's Fastest Lorry!
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:52:15 -0700
Steve, et Bently Enthusiasts,

You can see pictures of the 4.5 litre and earlier Bentlys at this site:

                http://www.darkforce.com/royce/ben4.5.htm

BTW, not only did Lord Rootes have nothing (as far as I know) to do with
Roots type supercharger blowers, but note the different spelling as well.

Bob

At 07:39 AM 9/29/98 -0700, Steve Laifman wrote:
>Enthusiasts,
>
>Here, in Southern California, where a Ferrari, Lambo,
>whatever, are so common that they hardly raise any
>attention, I got 'blown away'
>yesterday.  Driving about 3 blocks from home, a British
>Racing Green (definitive) Lorry (English for truck) pulls
>alongside and waves.
>
>I looked real hard at the driver.  It wasn't Mr. Steed, and
>it wasn't the REAL James Bond, but it was their car.  An
>early '30's 4.5 liter
>blower Bentley in new condition. Rootes supercharger
>(different Rootes) nestled between the frame rails in front
>of the huge radiator, about 12" Lucas Flame thrower head
>lamps, huge wire wheels covered with 'motorcycle' fenders,
>chromed exhaust headers through the leather strapped hood
>and racing numbers in place.
>
>This is the 4 passenger car that made Bentley famous in the
>sporting circles by winning Le Mans.  This is where he got
>the reputation of
>building the "World's Fastest Lorries", as the competition
>were smaller 2 seaters.
>
>He lives near me, and promised to show up with ONE of his
>Bentley's at Woodley Park Sunday, Oct. 11.  The other is a
>"Royale".  Sorry, the only "Royale" I know about is the Cord
>I never saw.
>
>So both BRG cars, with approximately the same engine size,
>but many generations apart, went  humming down the road
>issuing different
>but pleasing sounds.  As I turned off, he rounded a very
>long turn.  That high, narrow car, with huge wire wheels was
>a thrilling sight as
>he "gunned" it a little around the turn.
>
>Made my day, so thought I'd share it.
>
>Steve
>--
>Steve Laifman         < One first kiss,       >
>B9472289              < one first love, and   >
>                      < one first win, is all >
>                      < you get in this life. >
>

>_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
>                         _/
>                    _/_/_/

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com