RE: Hardtop latches

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>, Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Subject: RE: Hardtop latches
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:50:11 -0600
Okay, I went to look at things a little more carefully. I have (on '2705) the
soft top
with latches that are NOT cast (as I reported earlier) stamped steel, welded
around
the ends where it hooks onto the header catches, and chromed. These latches
incorporate
a palm-torture device that sticks out from the opposite end of the latch. I
presume these
are there to allow us to disengage the latches once they are on.

The other part (found on the hardtop) did not have the palm-torture extension,
and also
did not have the hook end welded around the end. So when I went to install the
hardtop,
he stamped-steel hook flexed out to the point where the hook pops off the catch.
I also
have another junk softtop header with two latches that are welded around the
end, etc.
so I will install these on the hardtop and try again.

I have been able (previously) to loosen and jiggle everything around on the
windshield
header and both tops to try and get the best adjustment for this stuff. The DPO
had
helpfully installed the right side windshield header catch with #10 sheetmetal
screws instead
of the 10-32's. I was able to run a tap through it to clean the threads. I don't
remember
right now what kind of screw (machine or sheetmetal) is holding in the soft top
side
of things but it's got a cheese type head with a slot in it.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705