Re: _More_ thinking? (plus Bonus topic)

To: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>,
Subject: Re: _More_ thinking? (plus Bonus topic)
From: "Doug Mallory" <rdmallory@earthling.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 17:46:43 -0400
I can't take credit for some of the questions...
They were from a Engine Power tech. class in collage.
 The amount of hp to turn a 350 Chevy (Yuck) without spark plugs 5000 rpm
was about 18 hp. Most of this was due to valve train springs. This was done
with a dyno by bolting two engines together. Both had straight 30 wt oil. It
was to prove that TEFLON oil additives didn't reduce hp loss the way they
claimed. There was a hp gain due to lower viscosity of the oil. This was
before Slick 50 and Slick Willy. If it took 90 hp my 2.3 Mustang with 85 hp
could not turn 7500.  Most of the hp is used for accelerating from 0 to 300
rpm with cold oil. Hydrodynamics does not care what you coat the surfaces
with only the viscosity of the oil. Most of the local boys (NASCAR) use
0w -10 oil to qualify and 30w to race. And none use any oil additives ( that
they will admit). The next time you have an engine on a stand take you half
inch drill hook it up to the harmonic balancer and see if you don't get
about 3600 of  that 1.5 hp drill.

Oh one more question that was on our final exam.

What is the max RPM an engine will turn ?

Doug Mallory
Charlotte NC

Where 24 gets stomped on Sunday.