Re: Think? Oil additives

To: laifman@flash.net, lrw@aop.com
Subject: Re: Think? Oil additives
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:57:48 EDT
All this talk of oils and additives reminds me that we're dealing with rugged
V8's here.  I believe that they should last at least 150,000 miles with just a
little care.  For most cars I don't believe it's necessary to change the oil
every 3000 miles.  If there is a lot of highway driving I believe 7000 miles
or so is often enough.

With my Volvos I have normally over the years tried for 7-8000 miles changes
(the factory recommends 10,000) and have never had any engine trouble with
150,000-200,000 miles when I get rid of them.

An older salesman that I knew for years drove full sized Fords.  I'm sure that
some, over the years, must have had 289's or 302's.  His driving was mostly
highway.  His formula was:  drain the oil at 5,000 miles, save it, change the
filter and put the same oil back in.  Now this is the way he was treating
brand new cars!

When I told him he was crazy, he said not reusing the oil was just a waste of
money.  He said he normally drove about 60-70,000 miles per year.  He traded
the cars every 3 years.  He claims that over 35 years of being on the road he
never once  had internal engine problems with his cars.  They were traded in
with 160-200,000 miles.  His claim was, "Now if it's really necessary to
change the oil, don't you think that I would be having problems?"

It is some food for thought.     Mark L.