Re: tanks for the memories

To: Scott Lampert <netscott@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: tanks for the memories
From: Craig Wright <craig@p-d-g.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:27:53 -0700
Scott,

Used gas tanks can be very dangerous. I know first hand (from my teenage years)
that they
will explode. I left it out and open for three weeks and then flushed it
several times
with water. It exploded when it then tried to braze a small pin hole. It came
off of the
ground, smacked me in the face, and luckily only broke my nose.

Powder paint requires that the tank be baked in an oven, not recommended. Rinse
the
outside with a metal etch product that is available at any auto paint store,
and then
paint with a good primer. The metal etch remove the light oxide on the surface
and allows
the primer to really stick. Then paint any color you want.

If you have any active rust I can recommend priming the rusted areas with
Rust-O-Leum
(Sp?) active rust metal primer. Let it dry for 3-4 days and then paint with
regular primer
and color. After fighting rust bubbles all my life, I tried this 13 years ago
on a Porsche
that I just recently sold. The rust remained completely dormant and it did not
affect the
finish of the final paint at all. Since then I use it all all cars that I
restore.

Craig Wright

--
Craig Wright                          Product Design Group, Inc.
craig@p-d-g.com                   4635 Viewridge Ave.