Re: cooling system capacity

To: Armand & Lorie Ritchie <ritchie@mcn.org>
Subject: Re: cooling system capacity
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 17:26:34 -0700

Armand & Lorie Ritchie wrote:

> Whats the deal on the cooling system capacity.  The book says 4.2 gal.  But
> I only get out about 2.2 gals.  My heater is disconnected.  regards Armand
>
> ritchie@mcn.org
> Armand & Lorie Ritchie

Armand,

Had the same problem.  The block does not drain with the method you used.
Alternative is to remove those plugs in th block casting, although I don't
recommend it as they are probably rusted shut.  When you rebuild either use
brass or valves.

You could take out the freeze plugs, but that's a mess.

You could just ignore it, and change half your fluids as most do.

You could flush the engine out with a good quality material, get rid of a lot
of scale, and at least leave behind clear water (although it won;t be
distilled, or de-ioinzed, unless you've got a pretty fancy radiator shop or
home equipment.  Then add anti-freeze and water in correct proportions so that
the entire solution is 50%.  A good Prestone floating ball gauge will tell you
where you are in this process.

If you find a solution, let me know.

Steve

--