Re: cooling system capacity

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: cooling system capacity
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 20:13:49 +0100
>Armand,
>
>Had the same problem.  The block does not drain with the method you used.
>Alternative is to remove those plugs in th block casting, although I don't
>recommend it as they are probably rusted shut.  When you rebuild either use
>brass or valves.
>
>You could take out the freeze plugs, but that's a mess.
>
>You could just ignore it, and change half your fluids as most do.
>
>You could flush the engine out with a good quality material, get rid of a lot
>of scale, and at least leave behind clear water (although it won;t be
>distilled, or de-ioinzed, unless you've got a pretty fancy radiator shop or
>home equipment.  Then add anti-freeze and water in correct proportions so that
>the entire solution is 50%.  A good Prestone floating ball gauge will tell you
>where you are in this process.
>
>If you find a solution, let me know.
>
>Steve

Steve, thanks for the insight.  I remember years ago a radiator man told me
to lift the back of the car up as high as possible until all the water ran
out of the block.  I tried this once when I had access to a fork lift.  We
had a one ton chevy van and I lifted the back end about three feet off the
ground with the fork lift blades under the bumper and the front wheels
blocked.    About an extra gallon and a half of water ran out of the block.
I had all the hoses off and the radiator out at the time.  Maybe a real
steep drive way would work. just a thought.  regards Armand

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie