Big TE/AE United XX Thankyou

To: "Tom Hall" <modtiger@engravers.com>, "Tom Erhardt" <Tigertoms@aol.com>,
Subject: Big TE/AE United XX Thankyou
From: "Kirk G. Even" <keven@eaglenet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:24:49 -0400
To all Sunbeamers, TE/AE and others,

As one of the event coordinators for the United XX in Solomons Island I
must say there was constant nailbiting until the cars started streaming
into the secured parking area.  Thursday nights weather was rotten to say
the least with the most rain we have seen here on the East Coast in a
month.  Soaking wet, the drivers and their families strolled up to the
registration table with smiles on their faces and were greeted with
enthusiasm and praise for battling the elements successfully.

On Friday morning, as the rain subsided, we saw the number of cars in the
parking area double within a few short hours.  At 12:30 PM the 50+ car
caravan to the Concours began and it sounded like the start of a NASCAR
race... the kind of sound that gives you goose bumps and makes your hair
stand up... it was awesome!  The Concours was held in an Art Complex which
was befitting of all the fine Alpines and Tigers that were there.  That
night we cruised up to the local 50's diner and put on yet another show for
the local car buffs.  Lots of "How'd they get that engine in there?"
questions, but we all had that answer down pat.

Saturday saw cool temps under a high overcast which turned out to be ideal
conditions for our drag races at Maryland International Raceway.  Gerry
Porsch brought his Tiger up from Florida and ran the track consistently in
the sub 11 second and 120+ mph range, turning in his best time of 10.80 and
124 mph on street tires.  CAT's Tom McDaniel turned in his best time on the
track ever and just couldn't keep that boyish smile off his face... way to
go Tom!  (Tom also took our long distance award).  The rest of our Tigers
ran the track in the 12s, 13s and 14s.  Talk about an eye opener to the
local drag enthusiasts!

Sunday dawned clear and cool... a great start for our Autocrossers.  The
SCCA sanctioned National Capitol Area VW Club put on our event and turned
out to be a big success.  Merlin Miller from PA brought his GT2 Class Tiger
out for a few quick circuits around the track to the awe of the crowd...
what a fine machine!  Just a week ago he won his class in a hill climb
event up north where his car could really stretch its legs.  Our course was
a bit tight for him... ever seen or heard a really ticked off alley cat in
a box?  That would sum up Merlin's car on the track.  Doug Jennings' street
prepared Tiger also put on a show, taking some 11 or 12 circuits because he
was having so much fun... like a kid in an amusement park.  The other
Tigers and Alpines tore through the track like oversized slot cars.  Wally
Swift still has "The stuff" and took first place in his Alpine in fine
fashion.

Sunday nights award banquet, though a bit lengthy, was a cheerful
culmination of the event and there was much applause and light banter to
make the evening and the event complete.

PBS/MPTs Craig Singhaus and MOTORWEEK were on hand to give us comprehensive
coverage of the event and of the Sunbeam Marque in particular.  Craig is a
real pro in the car business owning a 1967 Shelby GT500 Mustang himself.
We are greatly looking forward to seeing the program aired later this
season and hope all the West Coast enthusiasts have a chance to see it as
well.

Special thanks to Steve Alcala from CAT and Tom Hall from STOA for gracing
our event with their presence and fine representation of their respective
clubs.  You are more than welcome to come back again and again!

I want to thank each of the United XX Committee members for you tireless
efforts in putting this event together and providing your support to the
Chairmen, Bill Dewell and myself... THANK YOU!!  In particular I would like
to thank our President, Rick McCurdy for his open support and and active
participation at the event... you were the final catalyst that brought all
the hard work together successfully.  And to all the participants and
attendees... you are the REAL ones who deserve my thanks... you were the
frontliners who drove so many miles to show your beautiful cars and renew
your friendships and create new ones with the other members of our club.

Thank you all for the rewarding experience.  Now that I'm out of the
trenches of this event, lets give the SUNI coordinators the same
overwhelming support you gave our crew at the United!!

Warmest regards, Kirk Even
Now a Former TE/AE United XX Coordinator