Radiator Notes

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Radiator Notes
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:08:10 -0400
     I pulled my radiator this weekend to prepare for the recore job.

     I laid it down on a large piece of thick paper, some stuff my wife
     calls "Oaktag", and accurately traced it.  I also measured and
     recorded the critical dimensions, angle of the vent tube, etc.  All
     this will go to the shop with the radiator, giving the guy less excuse
     for screwing up.  I made a second copy for myself.

     With a flashlight and an inspection mirror I took a look inside.  The
     few tubes I can see are pretty cruddy on the inlet end.  But what's
     even more scary is the color I can see in a couple tubes.  Red/orange.
     The same color as the RTV sealer I used with the hoses.  I wiped a
     little inside each hose before putting them on last time.  It appears
     that the excess falls off and finds someplace to lodge.  I guess if
     you are going to use sealer, put it only on the outlets, not in the
     hose where it can come loose.

     Which brings us to the subject of GANO filters.  It's the 1 3/4" brass
     one we want, right?  Who makes it, do they have a web sight, where can
     I mail order, or Email order one, etc.?

     I called the shop I was going to use for the recore, and started
     talking about the Modine core.  You don't want that piece of offshore
     junk, he says, you want a Main (Maine?) core.  I use those all the
     time.....

     Needless to say the search for a shop continues.

     Stu