Re: PCV connection at carb

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: PCV connection at carb
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:10:02 -0700

Bob Palmer wrote:

   Dave,

   If your intake manifold is like a lot of them, there is a "window" cut
   between the two sides of the dual planes. I'm not sure if this is the way
   they came originally or whether it was just something done by a lot of
   folks after they got them. Whether you have this window or not, I presume
   the PCV adapter is just a simple open rectangle, which means a lot more
   crosstalk between the planes. This being anything like the case, I would
   venture to say that it makes no difference whether you point it front or
   back. If you were using a carb with a PCV fitting, it would also be pretty
   much in the same place, and without any additional opening between the two
   sides of the manifold. I'd go for the cleaner installation myself.

   Bob

Bob,

Much as it pains me to take a contrary position to your discourse, in this
particular instance you are mistaken.  While the first F4B's had
four separate holes at the top, the soon merged into a "left set" and a "right
set", each of which only fed 4 cylinders.  The left holes and the
right holes were later made into two sets of ovals, but still fed 4 cylinders
each, with no crossover.

Actually, while most PVC adapters are open rectangles, the Boss 302 referred to
has separate passages to the left and right pair of intake
runners, and seals between them with material and gasket. also having oval
holes.

Pointing it "front" or "back" does make little difference insofar as PVC
function is concerned.  The problem here is that your PVC valve is
at the back right pointing up and the 302 installation, per marked "TOP" would
put the intake tube on the forward side pointing left.  That's a long run of
hose.  Flipping it will put the intake tube on the rear aiming to right.  This
"points" right at the PVC valve.  A single curved
hose, like the stock hose with one curve cut off, will then connect the two with
a two inch long hose.

So THIS is the "cleaner" installation, unless you have a 302 Boss.

Unfortunately, (see last post), the front of the air cleaner won't clear the
downsloping hood, so other solutions were recommended.

You have got to have been there to be able to laugh and cry at this,
simultaneously.

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >