RE:IRS for Sunbeams...

To: "Tigerlist * (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE:IRS for Sunbeams...
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:29:05 -0600
DrMayf@aol.com wrote:
*If there were a DROP IN independent rear suspension for you Sunbeams,
how many
*of you would do it and how much should a unit like that cost to make it
*inexpensive enough to want it?

        I'm probably part of the ideal target market for something like
this; I'm not over-concerned about originality, I spend _too_ much on
the car, I cannot do my own development work on something this
complicated, and I'm about to re-do the entire suspension. Yeah, I'd
drop $1500 to $2000 on this. My caveats & wish list:

a) Fully ready-to-go, no "you need to go find an xxxxx in the junkyard".

b) Clear instructions, and either 100% bolt-in, or perhaps some simple
weld-on of some mounting brackets that a local shop could do for me.

c) Options (or standard features) of limited-slip and disc brakes, and a
choice of gear ratios

d) No-nonsense availability of replacement parts (U-joints, pinion
seals, etc)

e) Time frame: I expect to buy the "goodies" to re-do the suspension in
December or so, and assemble it all over the winter (I expect delays
while any welding/reinforcing, powder-coating, etc is done), but I want
the car ready to go by 04-01-99 at the latest. If I go the conventional
route, I won't want to convert to IRS later. If I hold off, waiting for
IRS, and the car sits in the garage until July for the kit's arrival, or
it never comes at all, I would not take it well. Possibly a
irreconcileable conflict in timing, as I'm sure development time on the
kit could be extensive.

f) Any way to utilize those cool forged-aluminum control arms from the
_front_ of C4 'Vettes? Just to keep weight down, you know.  :-)

        BTW, a while back (2 years?), didn't somebody post to the List
the location of a website that sold bolt-in IRS kits for old Mustangs?

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com