RE: IRS for Sunbeams...

To: barsnej@WSDOT.WA.GOV, tigers@Autox.Team.Net, TSmit@novatel.ca
Subject: RE: IRS for Sunbeams...
From: "Bill Lawrence" <billlawrence@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:11:45 PST
Tigers,

I agree, the R200 LSD new out of the box is dear, but, you may be able
to get away with the R180.  This is the same unit used by Subaru
(so is readily available through used parts networks), is a much more
reasonable package (I've seen then for less than $200) and should have
no trouble handling ~200 hp with torque associated with a "stock Tiger".
Of course, there are the other points that must be considered before
this semi-trailing arm IRS becomes drop in.

There is the geometry of each side's pivot, shock mount(will the Tiger's
inner fender well support it), spring and differential carrier mounting
points.  Then there is the drive shaft length and while your at it why
not upgrade to the rear discs (a Nissan 200 SX will bolt in with minor
mods).

The Nissan products are generally bullet proof and much more to their
credit, infinitely interchangable within their own family.  I should
know I built up a 1972 510, before I inheirited my Tiger.  (For the
record I learned how to drive in my Sunbeam Tiger, the Datsun came much
later).

Bill Lawrence

>flavors, the R160, R180, and R200. The R200 was used in Paul Newman's
Turbo 300Z
>Trans Am car, among other things, so it should be strong enough for
most of us.
>Any driveshaft shop should be able to trim the halfshafts to the length
you
>require. The not-so-good part is that you'll be building your own
uprights (hub
>carriers) because the Z cars used a 'Chapman strut' rear end, which is
a variant
>of the MacPherson strut where you can't turn it. Still, it's probably
your best
>bet for getting a readily available and bulletproof rear end. Oh yeah,
before
>you start, if you're planning to put a limited slip diff in, call
Nissan
>Competition first. Then when you recover from the sticker shock, think
about it
>again.
>
>How much do the Tiger leaf springs weigh? The reason I ask is that you
can
>probably get a significant reduction in unsprung weight just by going
to a
>three-link (with lateral location) rear end, and coil-overs.
>
>Theo Smit
>tsmit@novatel.ca
>B382002705

Sunbeams, how