Ford brakes

To: "Sunbeam Tiger List" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ford brakes
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:57:57 -0800
    Wow!  there seems to be HUGE discrepencies in brake life here on the
Fords...My 87 Taurus has 145K on it now, and I bought it with 87K so that's
almost 60K on it from me.  Anyway.  When I bought, I had one of those free
brake inspections done at Midas.  Rear shoes were at 50%, Drums OK, and the
font pads were at about 30%, and the Disk was to thin to be turned.    The
decision was to drive it untill the front brakes scaped and made horrible
noises, knowing that the rotors were bad already. I would replace the rears
when they needed it.
    Those front brakes lasted till two months ago, when I changed the Rotors
and pads.  (Got the Police/Taxi rotors for $11.00 each!   Cheaper than
turning them !), and semi matalic pads.  now the rear shoes are calling for
my attention, and had them inspected again, for free so I know what parts I
need to buy.  Shoes were at 10% and the drums still fine, but the wheel
cylinders were leaking now.  Shoes $13.99, two wheel culinders at $14.99
each  (rebuild kits were $9.99 + more labor on my part), so now the rear
brakes will be new as well.  I don't drive this car nearly as hard as I did
the old Alpine.

    So, as you can see, I have had NO issues with wear on the brakes of my
Taurus.  Checked the front rotors yesterday for wear, and they still look
brand new after 2 months of use.  No complaints here!

Rich