Re: Ford brakes

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ford brakes
From: nfgjr@juno.com
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:08:15 -0500
First Story : I own a 1988 Mercury Sable wagen for with 175000 miles on
it. I have replaced the front pads twice. Once I forgot to do my routine
checks and the pad ate into the rotor. Went to have it turned and was
told it would not turn in spec. the other side was OK. When I enquired
about the price of a rotor I said what the heck and replaced both. The
replacements were castings not steel and a cast Iron and steel assembly.
By the way the back has been replaced once the drums did not require
turning.

Second Story : Recently  (5-98) I purchased a 1993 Mustang with 44000
miles on it. In the paperwork it had receipts for a recent front brake
job. I figured with 44000 it was about time for brakes and should be no
problem. I put a lot of miles on a car in my commute and (2500 a month).
By 50000 miles the front rotors had warped so bad you couldn't hardly
stop. As I disassembled it I checked the lugnut torque. Not the prolem. I
checked the pads. looked like brand new(they should). I pulled the rotors
and took them to the local shop. They were salvageable. I put it all back
together and so far no problems (57000 to date). I went back with the
"lifetime" pads. The parts store (not pepboys its one of those real parts
stores where the men behind the counter are my age not kids and can tell
you what the part is from without asking ) man said the longer life pads
are made of a harder compound?

 My question would be :

        Why would a lighter car (4 Cyl vs station wagon) appear to be
rougher on brakes?

        Does anyone know what would cause rotors to warp if not torque or
rapid cooling?

        Could it be the old Front drive vs rear drive?

Norm Garland
nfgjr@juno.com