Re: No Tiger Content

To: marrone@wco.com, alpines@Autox.Team.Net, TBeloney@Wyse.com,
Subject: Re: No Tiger Content
From: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 07:51:16 EST
In a message dated 11/2/98 10:02:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, marrone@wco.com
writes:

> You have to burn the fuel and pollute, you loose power due to transmission,
> you loose power due to storage, you loose power due to conversion to
movement.
>   With internal combustion you burn the fuel and use the output directly
thus
> (theoretically) eliminating losses due to transmission and storage.

Yep,  but the gasoline doesn't magically appear at service stations.  There
are many loses there.

Internal combustion engines are extremely inefficient. I don't recall the
statistics, but I suspect a well run power plant with cogeneration is at last
an order of magnitude more efficient than an automobile.  Efficiency can lead
to less pollution.

It certainly would be an interesting trade study to compare the total energy
and environmental impact of a gasoline powered car versus an electric powered
car.

Rob Kempinski