RE: Electronic ignition

To: Tiger List <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Electronic ignition
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:28:52 -0700
The collapsing magnetic field in the coil also causes a high 'back EMF' to be
induced in the primary windings, which is what causes the sparking on the
points.  The back EMF is generated by the coil, so it affects a transistorized
ignition as well, and if the designer did not put in enough of a snubber circuit
to keep the voltage rise under control, the coil drive transistor gets zorched.
In their coil driver app note, Motorola recommends 600V transistors, and I've
personally fried some transistors rated at 800V trying to run a high-energy coil
without a voltage clamping circuit. Now I know better :)

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705