Re: Electronic ignition

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 10:52:44 -0800

Bob Palmer wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I understand why the Pertronics improves maintainability, but did you also
> notice any change in the way the motor runs? Specifically, Jim wants his to
> "run a bit smoother, especially during that difficult time between stone
> cold and fully warm." .
>
> Bob

Bob,

I can give you my experience on your questions.  The installation is dead
simple.  The only extra-ordinary thing I had to do was to file the sides of
the electric round eyelet to allow it to pass through the narrow style wire
hole.  Some Fords have bigger holes, and this small step is unnecessary.

Only 2 wires stick out of the distributor, everything else is self-contained.
and these wires have normal eyelet electrical connections, just like present,
except there is one more of them.

I'd take the extra step here of checking the vacuum advance.  The diaphragm
tends to go, with time, and no longer works.  A simple set is to suck (no
nasty comments, now) on the hose to the can as see if you get air.  If you do,
it's broke.  Accel makes a bolt-on replacement that is adjustable with an
allen wrench for throw. I just duplicated the original, which is adjusted with
shim washers.

Installation was a snap.  Just remove the old points and condenser and attach
the device with the regular points screw. Place the special plastic cap over
the lobes, to trigger the sensor, and "gap it" with a provided gaping tool
(piece of 0.040 plastic) between the pick-up and the plastic cap.  No lobe
centers to find. Non critical.  That's it, put the cap on and connect wires as
instructed, and set the timing.

Other alterations, such as distributor re-building, curve alteration, etc are
options depending on application.  I did 'cheat' a little, and put in new cap,
rotor, wires and plugs.

Insofar as operation is concerned, the car starts instantly, idles like a
Rolex, and doesn't break down to at least 6,000 rpm (where my stock valve
train floats).  Never needs adjusting for point wear, dwell change, or timing
because nothing is wearing.

Anyway, that's my experience.

Steve

> --