Re: Metric Wrench it

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Metric Wrench it
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 21:27:56 -0800
Jim, Jay, et Listers,

I believe the transplanted Britts I used to work with generally used the
term "spanner" instead of "wrench", so the crescent type of wrench was an
"adjustable spanner". Being the consummate mechanic you seem to be Jim, I'm
surprised you even have a wrench/spanner of this type in your tool chest. I
thought they were eschewed by all self-respecting mechanics.

BTW, Sears pissed me off too; probably about the same time and for the same
reason as you were. 'Round about 1978 was it?? Also, Jim, can't help but
note the irony of you being the one out of all those on the List, to post a
spelling correction. I would have guessed you couldn't have cared less.
Wrong again!! ;-)

Bob

At 09:26 PM 12/9/98 -0500, James Barrett wrote:
>At 04:28 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>>Here is an interesting tidbit, the "cresent" wrench is a trademark name
>>owned by the Cooper Industries since 1905.  So you better be careful not to
>>say you are using a "cresent" wrench to fix a broken "Xerox" machine while
>>blowing your nose on a "Kleenex" - unless you really are!
>>
>>Jay
>        "cresent" is the wrong spelling. I have several CRESCENT TOOL CO.
>and Red Diamond adjustable wrenchs. They are all labled in inches.  I
>only have one metric adjustable wrench and it is a CRAFTSMAN brand.
>Sears pissed me off a long time ago and I hate to have to use a
>Sears tool every time I come across a metric fastener.  Any one know if
>CRESENT brand wrenches are also available in metric?  ;-)
>
>James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com