Re: Speedometer light, now what?

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Speedometer light, now what?
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:39:41 -0800
Jim,

Your question prompts me to point out the great utility of having a
multimeter in your tool arsenal. You can get a pretty decent one pretty
darned cheap these days. I'm guessing you don't already have one because it
would provide you with a quick and easy way to diagnose this problem.
First, check if there is 12V at socket at the bulb base connection. If not,
track back until you find the problem (e.g., switch, fuse, etc.). If there
is 12V at the bulb socket, check for continuity to ground, either directly
with the ohmmeter or indirectly by seeing if there is also 12V on the
ground side of the bulb socket with the bulb inserted, or on the
speedometer case with the bulb in place and the socket inserted in the
speedo case. (This will read zero if it's grounded, 12V if not.) I'm going
to make a wild guess that this is the problem; i.e., no ground wire to the
speedo case. There should be a ground lug that goes under one of the
knurled nuts that holds the speedo case in place. Remember, with a wood
dash, there has to be a ground wire connection to every instrument. Of
course, it's always possible that even a new bulb is bad, so you could
check that with the ohmmeter function too.

Maybe if you've been a really good boy this year and you ask him really
nicely, Santa might get you one of these really great toys - I mean tools -
for Christmas.

Happy holidays from balmy San Diego,

Bob

At 10:55 PM 12/16/98 -0600, James E. Pickard wrote:
>Rotated my turn signal to the left side; nothing to it!  Replaced the
>bulb for the speedometer, but without any luck; still doesn't work.
>Suggestions?
>
>Jim Pickard
>B9473298

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com