inquiry 121898a

To: "TransAtlantic Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: inquiry 121898a
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 07:49:07 -0500
Chris.S.Mottram wrote:
*I'm planning the logistics of getting to the SUNI in July of 1999.  The
*only way I can figure to get there WITH a Sunbeam and my family (wife
and 2
*small kids) would be in a motorhome with either my Tiger or Alpine in
tow.
*I would have to drive from Atlanta, Georgia to Big Sky, Montana, a 2-3
day
*drive.    I would need to rent a motorhome for the trip. Has anyone
done
*this before?  Any tips?  I could fly, but it would be more fun with a
car.

        Let me offer a thought, one I've been toying with ever since
United XX. There's only about a 1-in-8 chance of my going to SUNI, in no
small part because (a) I swore never again to attend a car event w/out
our Tiger and (b) it's a long way to Tippe.... er, Montana. I'm too
paranoid to try driving 3,500 miles in a car that _I've_ worked on, and
not interested in buying a trailer plus a tow vehicle.
        How about getting 4-6 guys in a 2-3 state area interested and
charter one of those companies that specialize in transporting classic
cars in enclosed trailers that advertise in Hemmings? Let's say it'll
cost $2500
(a wild guess) round trip. At'sa lot of money, but split five ways, not
_too_ bad. Pick a central spot to meet the week before, perhaps have a
pre-SUNI event (SOS-1/2?), and load 'em up. Then, you can fly to
Montana, drive the family car, split the costs of a maxi-van or
motorhome, whatever. Hey, perhaps even a train.
        I have no idea if this'll work. Perhaps the transport companies
charge way more that I'm estimating, maybe you don't have enough folk in
your region inclined to go but wary of driving that far, and somebody
has to take financial responsibility (what if somebody backs out at the
last minute?). But it's a concept, anyhow.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com