Re: Brake Lights

To: "Dr. Tym McDowell" <tym@exit3.com>, Team tiger <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Brake Lights
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 11:04:07 -0500
At 4:20 PM -0500 12/18/98, Dr. Tym McDowell wrote:
>Tigers,
>
>I put my Mk1A together after fresh paint.  I can't get the brake lights
>to work.  Everything else seems to be fine.
>Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Tym McDowell

Tym:
If you have fresh paint where the tail light housing attaches, you could
have a bad ground. Get a length of wire with aligator clips. Clip one end
to the brake light bulb housing, the other to the batttery ground strap. If
you have brake lights, you'e found your problem.
Also, Check that you're getting power to the leads on the stop light
switch. There are two spade plugs on the 5 way brake line junction, on the
lower RH fender well, in the engine compartment.
Put an ohm meter or  test light across the two leads protruding from the
switch. If the circuit closes when you step on the brakes, then your
problem is in the wiring.
If the switch doesn't close, it could shot. Sometimes removing it and
cleaning it up restores the function.