Quick Tiger (longish in content)

To: "Tigers" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Quick Tiger (longish in content)
From: "Bob Hokanson" <tgrr2@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 11:18:21 -0800
Listers,
     Having owned my Tiger for over 25 yrs and making several modifications
over the years to better its performance,  I have always been interested in
Tigers that are strong runners.  Quarter mile times have been one indicator
of that performance, so I paid particular attention to stories about a car
from Florida that could run in the 10's.  Since I have never been able to
get my car to run under 12's and we were going to be in Florida for a few
days anyway, I contacted Jerry Porsche to see if I could get a look at his
car.  He not only graciously consented, but took time out of his schedule
for a trip to the local drag strip in Orlando last Wed nite so I could
watch it run.
     When I arrived at his home, what I found truly astonished me.
Expecting to find some hairy-chested, cut-up, tubbed and tube-framed
monster with huge slicks extending out of the fender wells perched on a
trailer, instead I found a pretty little BRG tiger with a LAT hood and Lat
70 wheels residing in the garage.  A closer look revealed a roll bar with
side braces extending forward to the lower front door corners and a pair of
McCreary street-legal tires on the rear.  Really, nothing else to reveal
this car's potential.
     When Jerry told me to hop in, that we were driving to the strip, you
could have knocked me over with a feather.  Not only does this car run
10.60 quarter mile times, it is also regularly driven on the street.  His
wife drives it around town running errands!  So accompanied by 2 other
Tigers we drove out to the drag strip, stopping to fill up with regular
pump gas.  The car has a healthy rumpity-rump sound from the roller-cammed
302, but is quite tractable in traffic and does not suffer any cooling
maladies.  A pleasant ride but when he lays into the throttle the car
really smashes you into the back of the seat.
     The weather was unseasonably cool, so traction for many cars was a bit
of a problem and Jerry's first run without the nitrous netted a low 12, if
I remember correctly.  It has run 11's off of the bottle.  Then with the
nitrous on, the times dropped into the low 11's and mph at 123.  Conditions
were not favorable enough to get into the 10's but close, and you could see
the potential.  Truly, an amazing car.
    On the way back we stopped for some refreshments and a little bench
racing.  I want to thank my hosts for a great evening.  Jerry is a low-key,
soft spoken gentleman who lets the numbers speak for themselves and a
pleasure to meet.  But if you ever decide to take on a little green Tiger
at a stoplight somewhere around Orlando, you may be in for a real suprise.
Thanks again Jerry for showing us that it can be done.
Bob