Car/Screen Valve Differences

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Car/Screen Valve Differences
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 18:21:24 -0500
Folks,
        I have been working on my heater for the last
week.  In my case it was a real problem, as I had
previously moved the firewall back 6" for the 351C
and there was no longer space for the heater core
or an opening from under the hood.  Well I finally
fabricated a box that allowed me to mount the
original heater core from under the dash and replaced
the fan housing with a smaller housing (out of my junk box).
 When I went to hook up the Car/Screen air valve (the flapper
valve operated by a cable) I could not get the valve to
operate properly.  It would move from one side to the
center, but not to the other side.  I had another
valve and operating lever hanging on the wall.  On the
bench the spare unit worked perfect.  I spent a lot of time
trying to figure out what gives under the dash.
The cable would move 7/8" from closed to screen
position, under the dash and also on the spare
unit on the bench, but the original valve still would
not close.  I finally discovered the difference.
The spare air valve had the cable mount and wire holder
piviot mounted closer to the center of rotation of the
blade than the original Tiger II unit that was under
my dash.

I swapped the spare valve in place of the original
and the valve works correctly now.  I guess this
explains why I could never seem to get the air
valve to shut off, even long before I changed the
firewall.  I am not sure if the spare air valve
was a 66  Alpine or a 65 Tiger. The spare I used
did not have the sheet metal air deflector hanging
off the bottom like the original.  There were two
sheet metal screw holes on the lip, so there may have
been a deflector on it at one time.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others