inquiry 122198b

To: "TransAtlantic Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: inquiry 122198b
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:40:18 -0500
a) I was surprised to see all the responses to my
go-to-SUNI-by-the-truckload post. Sounds like there's a wide range of
prices for this service, and I really don't know what % savings there
would be in a full truckload deal where the carrier (yes, enclosed for
_sure_) wouldn't have to detour all over the country picking up and
dropping off cars. Remember, as I said, a 1-in-8 chance of me going, if
someone else d*mn determined to go wants to "captain" such a project,
well, don't wait for me.

b) I have the Lokar cable in the Garage Queen for my throttle; it's very
smooth. However, the barrel-adjuster end of the outer housing which ends
at the firewall, is mounted to a hole in said firewall aiming it at an
angle not quite in alignment with the clevis on the pedal arm. I was
able to flex the firewall in the vicinity of the hole a mite, got it
close, but the cable still drags across the _aluminum_ threaded barrel
and is slowly sawing through it. The outer housing is plastic (nylon?
Teflon?) lined, like the bicycle housing mentioned;  actually, it's OK
for a car throttle even though I always found it made my bike brakes too
mushy even with Campagnolo (very stiff) inner wires. Perhaps a solution
to the firewall-angle issue might be to made a thick aluminum bushing,
say 1"dia by 3/4" thick, and saw through it at an angle. Passing the
threaded adjuster barrel (BTW, that is for taking up "slop" in the cable
plus there's another one at the carb) through that might get the angle
right.

c) Yes, I've recently seen a toy Rapier (the mid-50's to mid 60's one,
not the late-60's to mid 70's one) in C&S magazine; mebbe I can find it
in my back issues over the next few days.

d) I wanted to wish all the Tiger Folk a happy & safe holiday season,
and say thanks for all of camaraderie and useful information. For that
matter, thanks for all of the useless information, too. :-)  It has been
3 years and a few months since I found the List, and cannot describe the
changes you have made is my enjoyment of Tiger ownership. Before, I felt
isolated and didn't have a ready source of advice; in 1994, the only way
I got though the engine & trans swap was by bombarding Tiger Tom Earhart
with lengthy faxes (thanks for your patience, Tom!). Now I can embark on
any work, from wiring the blower switch to a complete suspension
rebuild, knowing help and encouragement is only a keystroke away. I've
made a few friends, and, I hope, no enemies despite bombing the list
with posts on fictitious Rootes timelines, the Kludge family history,
and Rootes-opoly.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP