Re: Stripping

To: MWood24020@aol.com, bgullatt@mesahq.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stripping
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:14:32
Mike, Bill, et Listers,

Bill, your experience with the "alkali" strip supercedes my comments about
a "caustic" dip, which I was assuming was basically (no pun intended) hot
sodium hydroxide. Apparently the process you are referring to is an
electrochemical process. I would wonder how much metal it removes vis-a-vis
removing the paint, etc. I'm not surprised that he uses a two-step process;
first take off the paint, then remove the rust. These are two pretty
distinctly different requirements, so getting it done in one or even two
steps is a tall order. I wish there were a place that does what you
describe here in California. We've pretty much run all the polluters out of
the state, so are options are few.

Bob
Bob Palmer
UCSD, AMES Dept.