Re: Stripping

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Stripping
From: Wally Menke <wallym@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:06:41 +1100 (EST)
At 17:40 10/01/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Wally,
>
>Your recommendation of a red garnet sand blast carries a
>vicious result.  Sand blasting 'peens' the sheet metal and
>'work hardens' it.  It is actually a lot stronger after, but
>very susceptible to cracking. Would not recommend sand
>blasting anything.
>
>Steve

Dear Steve

I agree with you on the above, although shot penning of forged engine
components like conrods, is used for stress relief. I think cracking/fatigue
would only occur where parts are subject to excessive of flexing and
movement. In the case of our cars I don't think this would be an issue. You
will find that people restoring cars have been sand blasting before
painting, particularly chassis and front end components for many years
without detrimental effect (to my knowledge). I will keep you posted if my
feet come out the bottom.

Cheers
Wally Menke