Conversions

To: "Alpine People (E-mail)" <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Conversions
From: Bill Gullatt <bgullatt@mesahq.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:22:37 -0600
I am confused!

A year ago I was intending on doing a V8 conversion in my Alpine. I was
scolded and made aware that this would be an Alger. I must tell you that my
car was only a shell. No glass, No interior, No suspension and No serial
number. All I knew is that it was a series V manual car and nothing more.

After much deliberation on what my other options were for an engine swap I
had the opportunity to get some of the missing parts I needed. Tom Howard
had two cars listed on the Alpine site for sale. Larry Mayfield bought one
that he is making into his Bonniville car. I got the 1725 and transmission
from Larry as well as some pieces parts. Bob Burruss bought the other car
for a parts car. From this car I ended up with suspension, wiring harness
and serial numbers. Now all I needed was interior and exterior trim and all
the glass.

In October Bob and I made a trip to West Virginia to look at a BMW he found
on Ebay. I had seen a posting on the Alpine list of a bunch of parts in
State college, PA. It was only a few more  hours drive so we made the trek.
What we came home with was a Dodge Dakota packed with parts. A rebuilt 1725
(which I have opened to check for new parts finding only new pistons, rings
and bearings very thing else was worn.) A factory hardtop, Parish Plastics
hardtop, doors with glass, complete interior with dash and gauges, and more
boxes and boxes of pieces parts. All of this for about the value of the new
pistons.

As best I can tell I still need a windshield and some exterior trim. I now
have a 95% complete Alpine with a perfect rust free body and numbers that do
not match.

So am I to understand that I should have done an engine swap? Quite frankly
I think the beauty of owning any car is that it is a reflection of ones
personality. It should not matter what modifications someone makes to it. I
do think that I am going to come out OK on my investment in this vehicle. I
also understand that you can never get out of it what you put in except for
the pleasure of driving and saying I did this. I say do what you want with
your car (after letting others convince me to do otherwise).

I recently found a '64 automatic Alpine. According to the list this is the
least desirable car to have and would make a great car to convert. It seams
to me that this is one of the rarer cars out there. It could the sleeper
investment. Who really knows anyway?

By the way who bought the engine from Tom Howard. It matches my numbers.

Bill Gullatt
Madison, AL
Hodge Podge Series V