Shocking news

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Shocking news
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:41:47 EST
My original Armstrong Heavy Duty shock had the following dimesions:
        Extended Length 12 3/4 in
        Collapsed Length        8 in
        Top fitting                     stud
        Bottom fitting          1 1/2 in ring with 3/8 sleeve bushing
        No dust cover

Monroe Gasmatic # 8248 fits the above specs except the sleeve is 2 1/4 in
and uses a 7/16 in bolt.

The trick is to use the old sleeve to push out the new sleeve.  Using a 4 in
vise 3/8 in drive 3/8 socket and a 1 1/2 in pipe 'T' fitting, I pressed the
old
sleeve out of the old shock.

The putting the new shock in the vise, I started pressing the new sleevelout
of the new shock with the socket, until the new sleeve was just starting into
the rubber bushing (about 1/16 in).  The I switched from the socket to the old
sleeve and pressed the new sleeve out with the old sleeve.  When pressing
the new sleeve out, press forward about 1/2 in and then release the pressure
to avind tearing the rubber bushing.  It doesn't take long for you to complete
the job.  Paint the shock Armstrong blue and mount using the original bolt
and bracket.

Remember to press the new sleeve with the old.  It you remove the new sleeve
first, the hole in the busing will collapse to about 1/8 inch and you'll never
get
the old sleeve in.