Re: Wire Wheels for the Tiger

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels for the Tiger
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:24:32 -0800

DJoh797014@aol.com wrote:

> I agree that Dayton Wheel is the source for a wire wheel.
>
> But realize that if you are thinking of knock wheels, you will
> have to change to splined hubs.  Then you can join the world
> of wire wheel owners who constantly worry about stripped
> splines.  Ask Steve Arcala how many Alpine wires a he
> went thru looking for good splines.  True wires also use inner
> tubes.
>
> I remember reading somewhere that Sunbeam did try the
> Alpine hubs and wires on the Tiger, but the Tiger had so much
> tirque it pulled the spokes from the wheel.
>
> Dayton will make a wire wheel that  fits the Tiger hib and uses
> tubleless tires.  But why not consider SS's LAT 70's.  They
> are more correct.

DJ,

The Dayton wheel uses an adapter plate that bolts to the current
hubs, so you don't have to change your hubs.  Also, they use pin
drive, so you don't have to worry about the splines.  Also the use
heavier spokes that a Cadillac or Mercedes can't pull out.  In
addition, there is a rubber spoke boot to seal the nipples so you
don't have to use tubes.

As I recall, there are two good US outfits making wheels of this
nature.  One is in San Jose, or Campbell. (or was).

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >