Re: Wire Wheels for the Tiger

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels for the Tiger
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 10:29:06 EST
In a message dated 1/16/99 9:18:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
DJoh797014@aol.com writes:

> I remember reading somewhere that Sunbeam did try the
>  Alpine hubs and wires on the Tiger, but the Tiger had so much
>  tirque it pulled the spokes from the wheel.

Not quite.  It stripped the hub splines, not pulled the spokes.  That was on
the Miles prototype, which was subsequently fitted with Silverstone 8-spokes
mags.  Another apparent example has surfaced and remains somewhat a mystery,
except for one photograph which appears to show an Alpine-Ford fitted with
wire wheels by the factory.  Additional info and the photo appear on Norm
Miller's website at:

                  http://www.best.com/~rootes1/car5.htm/

Dick Barker