Re: NACA/NASA

To: Tim Jordan <tjordan@wagnerprocess.com>
Subject: Re: NACA/NASA
From: Will Seay <wseay@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:43:18 -0500
Tim Jordan wrote:

> Tigers,
> What does NACA and NASA refer to with respect to the Tiger hoods?  I have
> heard the terms used regarding Mach 1 hoods.
> Of course we know about the "Space Agency", but I'm not positive on the
> actual meaning of the letters when referencing car hoods.
***************************
Tim,

The Space Agency was formed from the old NACA.  I think NACA stands for
National Aeronautics and Civil Aviation.  Anyhow, the duct design was
the result of NACA research.  Conventional air ducts become ineffective
at high speeds because a boundary layer of air covers the opening and
restricts/prevents air flow.  The NACA approach was to put a slot in the
surface that the air was flowing over and shape it so that the air would
'curl' into the slot.  A properly-shaped slot looks something like the
cross section of the top half of a Coke bottle.  Pointey end toward the
direction of travel for an inlet.  I guess that if you put the pointey
end the other way you'd have an outlet.  The LAT outlet ducts should
function something like an NACA duct, so I guess that you could call
them such.  I would question whether the they were inspired by the
original NACA design or not.

B382001570 - Will - wseay@sprynet.com