Re: LAT hood ducts

To: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Subject: Re: LAT hood ducts
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:55:31 -0800
Dick,

Liked to have seen a picture of that one.  Was a windshield
in place for you to bend over, as well.

As I recall a reported pressure survey, the hood area in
front of the windshield was a low pressure zone, especially
where the LAT side outlets are placed.  This would allow the
inside air to be 'sucked' out with any hole, but the better
design the better extraction.

Perhaps the same thing is true in the area of the 'intake'
scoop.  A low pressure zone would overcome the expected 'ram
air' principle, and exhaust air as well.  If you didn't have
a windshield, or your 'generously sized body' didn't upset
the flow you were trying to feel, you may have contributed
to the 'science'.

We seem to have two principles operating here.  The rear
vents exhaust air because they are in a low pressure
aerodynamic region, and are also just ahead of the firewall,
which directs the internal air up, no matter.

The front scoop may be in a low pressure field too, but I
doubt it.  Probably the mass of ram and fan air trying to
get out of that engine compartment will take any route it
can.  Bob's box could prevent that action, if you needed
colder air at the expense of another hot air removal path.

To save future scientists an early funeral, one could just
tape one end of light silk thread pieces along the body
surface, and observe their action at different speeds.  They
will show direction of air flow, turbulence, back flow,
etc.  Commonly used technique.

Glad your still with us.  I won't tell you about my laying
between the fender and the hood on my MG-TD to find if I
could hear where that strange noise was coming from, while
holding on to the headlight brace.  Got really exciting on
the turns.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >