Re: Stub axle carrier

To: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>,
Subject: Re: Stub axle carrier
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:53:04 -0800
Dave,

First of all, thanks for calling it a "stub axle carrier" instead of  a
"spindle". Now then, it's been awhile since I did this last, but for
starters, I think decompressing the spring lessens the tension on the lower
taper joint (no effect either way on the upper). Perhaps if you loosen the
lower ball joint nut and then re-mount a wheel and jack it up, which causes
the lower A-arm, to be put in tension, it will come loose. Otherwise,
you'll have to resort to Thor (5# sledge hammer) and/or a puller to get
them loose. (Use anti-seize when you re-assemble so next time it will be a
lot easier.)

BTW, who is going to do the crossmember rebuild for you? Want to consider
going to an MG Midget rack? How about at least moving the rack mounting
points back about 1/2". Among those who can do a good job for you are Tom
Hall and Dale A. How is the front end alignment now? Does it indicate some
problems with geometry - e.g. too much negative camber. I assume you must
have some reasons to tackle this project.

Keep us posted with your progress. Of course, we are always here to give
advice from the sidelines.

Bob

At 09:10 PM 1/20/99 -0800, Dave Binkley wrote:
>Ok, I figured it was time to bring back some good old technical content to
>the list, so, just for fun, I've decided to tear down the front suspension,
>pull the crossmember and go for the full blown front-end rebuild.  I'm sure
>this will be the first of many questions.
>
>From the looks of things, this is the first time these pieces have been
>apart in 34 years.  How do I get the axle carrier to free it's grip on the
>upper and lower swivel bearings?  The shop manual says to use a "suitable
>extractor".  What's suitable?  I was kind of thinking (hoping?) that
>releasing the pressure on the front spring would make the whole assembly fly
>apart.  Guess not.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com