Stub axle carrier

To: "'Tiger List'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stub axle carrier
From: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:10:03 -0800
Ok, I figured it was time to bring back some good old technical content to
the list, so, just for fun, I've decided to tear down the front suspension,
pull the crossmember and go for the full blown front-end rebuild.  I'm sure
this will be the first of many questions.

>From the looks of things, this is the first time these pieces have been
apart in 34 years.  How do I get the axle carrier to free it's grip on the
upper and lower swivel bearings?  The shop manual says to use a "suitable
extractor".  What's suitable?  I was kind of thinking (hoping?) that
releasing the pressure on the front spring would make the whole assembly fly
apart.  Guess not.

Thanks,

Dave