Re: inquiry 012199a / Powdercoating

To: lrw@aop.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: inquiry 012199a / Powdercoating
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:13:54 EST
Regarding Powdercoating, most of the cars in Pacific Tiger Club that have been
restored in the last ten years have had all of the front suspension components
powdercoated.  It makes for a beautiful restoration and dirt usually cleans
right off with Windex.  I powdercoat all Tiger steering columns I rebuild,
including my exchange units because of its durability, appearance, and the
fact it is not effected by brake fluid that may drip from the master cylinders
above.  Several years ago there was concern voiced by Vintage Racing
organizations about powdercoating: the worry was that it is an elastic
"rubbery" coating that may conceal cracks developing in stressed parts.  I
don't know if this is true, but I chose to paint active my suspension parts
with DP-90 epoxy paint.
Jim Leach,      Seattle