Re: Pulling rear axle

To: DJoh797014@aol.com, lrw@aop.com
Subject: Re: Pulling rear axle
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:36:56 -0800
Dave, et Listers,

At 10:25 AM 1/22/99 -0500, DJoh797014@aol.com wrote:
>Larry
>
>Dont fool around when pulling the hub from the rear axle.  It very
>easy to bend the hub.  Use the proper tool, an axle puller with
>four legs.

I guess the following tip is for those who ignore the above advise!!

>Another tip, thread a die on the end of the axle.  Then when
>mushroom the end of the axle with the 5 lb precision adjustment
>tool, you can recut the threads with the die.  I did't do that and
>spend over an hour with a thread chaser and file, recutting the
>threads on the end of the axle.

If you back the nut out just past the end of the threads it saves the
threads and captures the puller shaft. When you think it's about ready to
break loose, a firm rap with Thor on the puller shaft usually does the job.

>Also the die will hold the hub when it does separate.  Don't be
>surprised at the loud bang when it comes loose.  My mechanic
>says he has seen the hubs fly completely across a shop and
>make a hole against a wall.

It's amazing how much energy a puller can store. Come to think of it, it
does sort of resemble an English crossbow. I'm imagining a British sailing
ship pulling alongside a Spanish Man-O-War. The Brit's gun doors open to
reveal, not canons, but 100 axles with hubs primed to release. A wave of
panic sweeps the Spanish decks. POW!! The crack of 100 hubs hurling through
air, each finding their target making gapping holes. "Gee boys, I guess we
won't have to worry about keeping our powder dry any more."

>Good luck
>
>Dave

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com