Intake - Reply

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Intake - Reply
From: Dan Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:48:32 -0600
Kirt,

>titanium push rods

Hmmm, what did those cost?  Titanium retainers are
reasonable and worthwhile if you plan on spinning out
the rpm.

>motorsport x303 cam

The X303 is a single pattern hydraulic roller cam,
designed for EFI applications.  The lobe centers are
wide at 112 degrees to keep the EFI happy at idle
(can't handle the pulsations of a lumpy idle).  110
degrees should yield better performance.  Also, a
dual pattern cam with more exhaust lift/duration
will help the relatively poor flowing Windsor exhaust
port.  Even on heads with good intake to exhaust flow
ratios, it's beneficial to to run a dual pattern cam
to compensate for street exhaust systems.

>Pete Jackson dual idler timing gear

These are fairly popular with the Pantera crowd.  There
are two versions, loud and louder.  Do it if you like
the blower-like gear whine but don't expect any real
performance advantage over a true-roller timing chain.

>original flywheel resurfaced
>ARP studs for heads and throughout

Make sure you have enough room to lift the heads past
the studs and out of the engine bay before you decide
on studs.  Having to pull the engine to freshen a valve
job is no fun.

>Has anyone tried the Victor Jr. intake ?  Pro's &  Con's ??
>Will it clear a stock hood ??
>I have heard several intake options....weiand...performer etc.

Others have noted the Performer RPM is the limit for hood
clearance.  Two other intakes that will fit and are worth
considering are the Weiand Stealth and the Weiand Xcelerator.
The Stealth is a high rise dual plane much like the Performer
RPM and the Xcelerator is a single plane.

With the X303 cam, your in the rev range where a single plane
intake might make sense.  Back when Super Ford did their
intake survey on a 5.0, they tested 10 different intake manifolds
and the Xcelerator came out on top.  The RPM and Stealth high rise
dual planes were not included (not available yet) but a Blue
Thunder copy of the Shelby Cobra high rise was included.
Interesting thing was the single plane Xcelerator produced more
torque across the entire rev range tested (2750 to 5500 rpm) than
the dual plane Edelbrock Performer.  At 5500 rpm, the difference
was a non-trivial 48.6 hp.  The Cobra high rise, was down 15.9 hp
at the same rpm.  The engine tested was a stock 5.0 with a relatively
mild A311 (204/214 @ 0.050", 112 LSA, 0.448"/0.472" lift cam).
With your X303 cam and Dart heads, the difference would probably be
larger.

Just because an intake is a single plane, don't assume it has poor
driveability.  I recently built a 351C for my Pantera and have been
quite pleased with my Weiand Xcelerator's street manners.  It's not a
302 in a Tiger, so the results are not directly comparable but it is
an example of a single plane intake working quite well on the street.
The engine was built with Aussie Cleveland heads, Holley 735 carb,
1 3/4" headers, a custom Cam Research cam (218/222 @ 0.050", 110 LSA, 0.530"
lift), etc.  I had 3 intakes available: a Holley Street Dominator
(small port, small plenum, single plane), Edelbrock Performer dual plane,

and a Weiand Xcelerator (big port, big plenum single plane) that I
planned on testing.  I decided to start the test with the biggest
manifold, the Weiand Xcelerator.  It works so well I have no intention
of trying the other two.  In fifth gear, I can pull it down to 1100 rpm

and it will accelerate smoothly away.  Idles fine at 800 rpm and can
pull 20 mpg on the highway if I keep the speed down.  Pulls from idle
on past 6000 rpm.

>How about carbs ???

Holley or Carter/Edelbrock AFB will both work.  I prefer
the AFB's for their reliability (no leaks) and ease of tuning.
If you go with a Holley, several good things to have:
center hung floats, quick jet change bowls, and power valve
protection.

>anyone ever tried running an electric water pump ?

Strictly a race item.  Typically constant speed so no flow
adjustment for rpm.

Dan Jones