Re: Centerforce Clutches

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Centerforce Clutches
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:14:10 -0800

Bob Palmer wrote:

> ............... It is very similar in design to the clutch used in the
> 5.0 GT Mustangs. I don't know enough about the details of the design, but
> I'm pretty sure you can shift at high rpm with it, otherwise there would be
> plenty of complaints. .......

> Bob

The "Centforce Clutch" IS the Motorsport Clutch used in the 5.0 Mustangs.
There are counterweights on the end of the multi-fingered pressure plate (much
like a Porsche or VW design) to counter-balance the centripetal forces trying
to increase the clamping force at higher rpm.

There is an argument about the release, but the consensus seems to be that this
is a good design compromise for high clamping forces balanced against release
forces.  The operative word is 'compromise'.  There are higher torque capacity
clutches, only you can't disengage them without "power clutch boosters". Don't
we have enough problems with the brake servos?

Steve

                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >

                         _/