Re: Fan belt pulley.

To: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Subject: Re: Fan belt pulley.
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:34:38 -0800
At 01:23 PM 1/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have the same problem as another lister who described his set-up
>earlier this week. A previous owner changed either the fan belt pulley
>or the whole water pump set up so that the generator had to be moved
>forward about half an inch, maybe a little more. This was accomplished
>by means of a number of large flat washers located between the generator
>bracket and the block. One of the results of this was that the fan part
>of the generator pulley fouled the small bracket welded on to the wheel
>well, so the end of the bracket was hacked off to provide clearance.
>
>In the box of bits which I got with the car were two fan belt pulleys
>with similar bolt patterns (4 holes on a 7/8" radius circle) and similar
>sized belt grooves (about 1/2" between the high points on either side),
>but with
>differing centre hole sizes and different distances from the mounting
>face to the centre of the belt groove. The first has a 5/8" centre hole,
>and a distance of 2" from the mounting face to the centre of the V. The
>second has a 1" hole, and a distance of 2 1/2".
>
>I am attempting to get things back to normal. Is either one of these
>pulleys the correct one for the Tiger?

The pulley with the 1" hole should be the correct one.  The overall height
from the back of the pulley to the outside front is 2-3/4" on the Tiger OEM
version.  This pulley and the crank pulley are not standard Ford automotive
parts but instead came from Ford's Industrial Engine Division.  The Tiger
generator bracket was offset to align the generator pulley with the rest of
this system.  While Tiger pulleys are unique, they do appear from time to
time for sale at swap meets.

This also means that the water pump is different  in that the front flange
was taken from another Ford product parts bin.  It was turned to the 1"
dia. and pressed on backwards (as referenced to normal Fords), to a special
location.  Rick at Sunbeam Specialties has pumps with the correct diameters
and locations.  It is not advisable to remove the flange and turn it
around.  The fit was designed for a one time press fit, although the
reversal  has been done by many with reasonably good results.  Locktite is
advised in this procedure.

Tom Hall