Re: Dual Master Cylinder Flop

To: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie),
Subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder Flop
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 14:38:54 -0800
Jim, Armand, et Listers,

Sounds like Armand has come up with the best solution for you Jim. You
should be able to get this done for well under $100; even in stainless. I'm
glad to see you take an analytical approach to this issue, which will
result in you getting just what you're after. I don't know if it was made
clear, but the pedal motion of the dual setup will also be the same as with
a single cylinder of the same area. In short, you shouldn't be able to tell
any difference whatsoever with the new setup you're planning. Did you
mention whether you're still using the stock drum brakes in back, or have
you installed disks? I'm thinking in terms of optimizing the ratio
vis-a-vis the master cylinder bores. Of course you can use a proportioning
valve, but of course this only works when you have too much pressure in
back. If you're using the stock drum brakes, I'll mention (again) that when
I had them I switched to the Alpine slave cylinders, which are slightly
larger and give more braking in back. I'll never understand why Rootes made
this change, unless someone thought the weight distribution was heavier in
front with the Tiger and thought they better ease up on the back brakes a
little. But my experience was that the rears did not lock up too soon even
with the bigger slave cylinders. Of course, with disks the story changes a
lot, depending on what calipers, etc. you use.

Good luck,

Bob

At 09:09 AM 2/4/99 -0800, Armand & Lorie Ritchie wrote:
>Send it off and have it sleeved down to the right ID.  There's a couple of
>places in Hemmings that do it.
>
>ritchie@mcn.org
>Armand & Lorie Ritchie

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com