Re: What Headers

To: Stephen.Waybright@COMPAQ.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What Headers
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:47:41 EST
In a message dated 2/11/99 12:48:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Stephen.Waybright@COMPAQ.com writes:

<< So I have my engine builder working up a hot 302 targeting 350+ HP. 10:1
 compression, worked aluminum heads, Perf. RPM intake.

 What Headers & Exhaust should I get?
      1. Sunbeam Specialties?
      2. CAT?
      3. S&S Headers (I don't know how to reach these guys, Dale is
 unavailable for consult, anyone know?)
      4. Other ideas (no cu$tom solutions please)

 PS: Keep Dale A in your thoughts/prayers. He's done a lot for the Tiger
 enthusiast (my project at least) and has been going through a heck of a time
 with his health lately.

Stephen-
I bought a set of headers from Rick@SS, they seem to fit fine. I'm not sure
how much ultimate difference exists between the various available types, as
the flow path is so constricted (fenderwells, engine mounts etc.) and, I
believe, they all use the same diameter tubing.
What I am curious about concerns using relatively well flowing heads with any
of the Tiger headers. Don't we reach a point where any additional head work is
ultimately a waste of time given the limited breathing capacity of the exhaust
we have to work with? I have a set of GT40 aluminum heads available which I
will install when my car goes back together and I am not convinced I want to
have them ported too much.
Mike Wood

PS I hadn't heard Dale was having problems with his health. I definitely will
keep a good thought for him, he is a really good guy and very helpful to the
"HiPo" Tigering community.