Not necessarily list related, BBR

Subject: Not necessarily list related, BBR
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:37:49 -0600
Hey Gang,

So, anyway...

Here in Southern New Mexico we are back to cold weather again, down to
20 degrees last night. But Janet and I had the 'Beamish Boy out for a 50
mile run this afternoon when the ambient air temp made it up into the
high 50's. The high winds, however, made for a much lower chill factor
which 'Beamish very kindly illustrated for us...

Stopped at traffic lights 'Beamish's temp was right dead in the middle
of the gauge (90 deg C) but at 65 MPH his temp dropped all the way down
to dead cold... A pretty clear indication that last September's NAPA
Auto Parts thermostat ain't up to the task no more.

Really felt weird to be in an English car and worrying about the temp
being too low!

So, anyway...

The British Motorcar Club of Southern New Mexico (BMCSNM), of which I am
a member, has released the information on our annual British automotive
gathering which will be held in and around Las Cruces and Mesilla, NM
the 23rd through the 25th of April, 1999.

A block of reduced rate ($50) rooms have been set aside at the Mesilla
Valley Inn in Las Cruces but only ten rooms remain at this time... they
are going like the proverbial hot cakes.

As participants arrive and check in Friday evening there will be a
casual Meet n' Greet get together featuring finger foods, a no-host bar,
and automotive tall tales galore.

On Saturday the British Car Days car show will be staged on the Plaza in
Olde Mesilla, a couple of miles from the Mesilla Valley Inn. A very
popular tourist attraction, Olde Mesilla is "picturesque to the max," to
coin a phrase, and large crowds of spectators are expected.

The British car show will not be a "concours" in the classic sense as no
judges will be used. Event participants will vote on the best vehicles
in each class. The actual classes will be determined by early
registrations with a minimum of three single marque vehicles required to
establish a class. Certainly, there will be classes for MG, Jaguar,
Triumph, Austin Healey (the featured marque), and so forth. There will
very likely be a Sunbeam Class. Marques without the minimum of three
vehicles will be lumped together in a special class. Kit cars and
replicas will not compete with "authentic" cars.

There will also be a "Peoples Choice" award and the club may add the
"fun" classes: farthest driven, toughest luck, etc.

The Mesilla Plaza is a tree-studded central square surrounded by
historic buildings which now house boutiques, gift stores, first class
restaraunts, and a first rate book store. I can personally vouch for the
comidas (food) at La Posta, the Double Eagle (which even boasts a
resident ghost), and El Patio.

A silent auction and buffet dinner are scheduled for Saturday evening.
Based on past performances, the buffet dinner should be excellent! And
lots of tempting goodies should be offered at the auction. Certainly,
the camaraderie (carmaraderie?) will be finest kind!

Sunday morning will start off with a Rallye through the Mesilla Valley.
Although generally billed as "time & distance," the rallye is really
more of a sight rallye and promises to be a lot of fun and moderately
competitive. I don't know for sure but I think they'll award trophies to
the top three finishers.

After the Rallye there will be an optional Sunday Brunch which will cost
an additional $11 per head. Errrr... in times like these, make that "$11
per person."

The basic tariff is $45 which covers a Dash Plaque, Meet n' Greet, Car
Show, Buffet Dinner, and Rallye for one person in one car. Additional
car at the show, $8. Additional person at the Buffet, $17. As mentioned
above, the optional Brunch (which is also listed as "Awards") is $11 per
each person.

Commemorative event T-shirts ("Beefy T's") are $15, 3-color caps are $9.
"In spirit Registration" (i.e., a dash plaque) is $5.

There is a 10% discount applicable to the full order of any participant
which is received before March 31, 1999.

Although no mention has been made of it, I suspect that there will be
lots of door prizes based on past performance.

Janet and I do, at this time, plan to attend with at least one car which
will NOT be the Morgan.

If any of you do decide to attend, please let me know and I will be glad
to offer any possible assistance. The point of contact for registration
forms is George Duckworth, gclyde1@aol.com.

Please note that all the above information is nothing more (or less)
than my understanding of the club's releases.

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'65 Sunbeam Tiger, '66 Morgan Plus 4, '67 Sunbeam Alpine