Re: Frame/Front Crossmember

To: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Subject: Re: Frame/Front Crossmember
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:13:09 -0800
At 11:07 AM 2/11/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Should the aluminum/zinc stepped spacer pad rivetted to the top of the
>cross member be the same both sides ?

        Yes they should.

>Is it proper to have extra spacers positioned above the spacer pad to
>increase the distance between frame and cross member ?  If so, what
>maximum thickness of additional spacers is appropriate and/or safe ?
>Seems to me that this attempts to make up for sagging springs...at what
>point should sagging springs be replaced ?

        It is possible to use pacers up to about 1/4" between the frame and the
crossmember to obtain equal caster angles.  It has nothing to do with
sagging springs, it has to do with independant control of caster and camber
adjustments.  It is also possible that the frame horns are bent due to
previous accident damage or simple structural relaxation of the frame
assembly.  Look for the tell tale signs of impending fatigue failure.  If
you don't find any, it may be a simple alignment trick.

Tom