Minilites and Tech-Del (UK)

To: tigers@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Minilites and Tech-Del (UK)
From: "Schotland" <gary@schotland.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 00:38:35 -0500
To Larry and anyone else who's considering buying Minilites
factory direct:

I bought a large quantity of Minilites from Tech-Del (UK) about 3
years ago.  Tech-Del was an absolute nightmare to deal with.  Lots
of broken promises and BS I could have done without.  Delivery
took 6+ months(!) - only after numerous phone calls and threats to
cancel the payment I made on my credit card.  Maybe they've
gotten their act together since then, but I tend to doubt it.

On the positive side, these wheels are very high quality and I'm
quite pleased with them.  Unlike Panasports, you don't see real
Minilites very often.

Unless you're prepared to purchase 6+ sets of 4, you're probably
not going to save anything by going factory direct.  On small
quantities, any savings on the cost of the wheels will be eaten up
by shipping, customs duties, taxes, documentation fees, etc. - and
don't forget the value of your time and trouble.  If you still want to
go factory direct, get the deal from Tech-Del (shipping date, price,
packing fees, etc.) in writing and only pay by credit card (not by a
debit card) to protect yourself.  Your credit card company will go to
bat for you if there's a problem. With a debit card you're S.O.L.
once the money leaves your bank account.

My advice is buy your genuine Minilites from Rick at Sunbeam
Specialties.  His price is fair (around $185 or so each, depending
on size) and you know he'll stand behind them if there's a problem.
Besides, we should support Rick because he's done so much on
behalf of the marque.  And let's not forget Tiger Tom's and Classic
Sunbeam too.

Gary Schotland