Re: Clocks

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clocks
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 07:40:29 EST
Patrick,
        Regarding determining voltage polarity on a Smith's clock, I am not
certain
that it matters!  When voltage is applied to the clock, it energizes a coil
(electromagnet) that causes the associated mechanism to move or swing thru its
travel, pushing against a spring.  Near the end of its travel a set of
contacts are opened, and this disconnects the coil, which turns off the
electromagnet, and allows spring to return the mechanism to (actually past)
its starting point, and in this process the contacts are closed, the coil is
energized, and the cycle repeats.  I have tested Smith's clocks in the past
using a 9 volt transistor radio battery: I use a small battery like that,
because it cannot supply a great deal of current.  Do remember, Smith's clocks
must be started.  The pull button on the front moves the mechanism back to the
point I mentioned earlier where the coil is energized.
        I met a gentleman at the Western Washington All British Field Meet
several
years ago, Stephen Golde.  He rebuilds Smith's clocks and gives a lifetime
warrantee on his work!  I have his business card from our meeting and he can
be reached at:
Fine British Cars               Rolls Royce and Bentley (Parts, Service and
Engineering)
P.O. Box 7234  Depot 4  Victoria, B.C. Canada  V9B 4Z3
tel & fax # (604) 474-7624      (area code may be out of date)
        I have delivered clocks to him at the WWABFM and picked them up from him
repaired at the Portland, Oregon ABFM.  He travels the ABFM circuit throughout
the world.  I hope this helps!
Jim Leach,      Seattle