Temp Gauge Woes

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Temp Gauge Woes
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:06:36 -0500
     For a start, check out my tech tip on Mark Olsen's Tiger web page.

     The fuel and temp gauges have the same internals, but different faces.
      The same sender resistance should produce the same pointer angle on
     both.  You could swap the sender leads and see if you get the same
     pointer angles, to help with troubleshooting.

     The stock voltage regulator produces a switching waveform at it's
     output, switching the power on and off a few times a second.  An
     average over time of this voltage will come out to about 10 Volts.  A
     cheap analog voltmeter ought to have it's pointer bouncing around if
     you try to measure the 10V.  If is stuck ON, you will read 12V, rock
     steady, and  both gauges will read high.

     Your temp sender could be failing, too.  Though, when mine failed, I
     started getting lower temp readings.  If you have an ohmmeter, watch
     the sender resistance as your engine warms up.  Use my chart to
     estimate what the resistance should be when your thermostat opens.

     Voltage regulators can seem to fail if they loose their ground, which
     is through their mounting brackets.  Remove yours and clean the metal
     underneath, and put it back, if you don't see the switching.

     As I stated in the tech tip, DO NOT try playing with the meter
     calibration screws.  Without the proper calibration procedure, a
     mystic ritual developed by the manufacturer,  you have no hope of
     making it any better.

     Stu